Spring is in the air and we are in one of the most important times of the year for house sellers. So how do you make your house stand out from the rest and maximise the chances of agreeing a sale?
Curb appeal counts –one of the first impressions that prospective buyers of your property will form is based on how it and the garden looks from the road. With that in mind and with the benefit of some wonderful Spring weather here are some simple steps that you can take to help your property stand out:
1. Take care of your lawn – give the lawn a cut, and keep it cut through the year. Give it some feed to green up the grass and kill off any moss and weeds and to make sure it shows at its best. Neaten up the lawn edges with a spade or edging tool.
2. Make the most of your borders – turn over the soil and keep on top of the weeding. The local garden centres are full of Spring plants in flower so it’s easy to plant up now for instant impact.
3. Maintain the fencing – deal with any outstanding repairs to fencing, gates and sheds and spruce them up with a fresh coat of paint or stain.
4. Bin the bins – where possible move dustbins and recycling containers from the front of the house and store them out of sight.
5. Plant up the planters – lots of spring plants are already in flower so give your house some immediate impact by cleaning up your containers and visiting your local garden centre to plant up some beautiful Spring hanging baskets and containers especially around the entrance areas to the house.
6. Get rid of the rubbish – most of us have a forgotten area of the garden which builds up with garden waste and anything else we don’t know what to do with. Your Buyers don't want to see it so its time to make that visit to the local tip.
7. Brush up the patio – make sure that the paths and patios are swept and free of weeds and moss. Consider pressure washing the exterior and any decking to bring them back to their best.
8. Don't forget the garden furniture – if you've got outdoor furniture give it a good clean to get rid of any winter grime. Dirty or damaged furniture and BBQ's will detract from your home so if they can't be cleaned up or repaired it’s a visit to the local tip to get rid of the old and to the garden centre to get in the new and to help your Buyers imagine themselves sitting there enjoying those Summer nights.
So there you have it – 8 simple tips to help you sell your house.